Action by: Shafer Mazow
Date(s) - 03/31/2017
ACTION: SUPPORT PEEING IN PEACE
I.P. Freely along with Bay Area Writers Resist bring this guerrilla action on International Day Of Transgender Visibility, inviting you to extend awareness and experiential understanding of issues facing transgender and gender non-conforming people in public bathrooms.
- Some forms your protest can take:
- Use the bathroom opposite your identity
- Conform to the proposed laws of the bathroom bills by using the restroom according to the gender assigned at birth, even if you don’t look like you belong in there
- Challenge yourself to only use gender neutral bathrooms
- Make alternative signs for bathrooms in your places of work and at school
- Reject or blur gender lines in your fashion for the day
- Assign All Gender facilities in your businesses or institutions for the day.
- Write about your experience:
We invite you to reflect on your day of action: How did it make you feel? How did your behavior change, and what did you notice about the behavior of others towards you? How challenging was the action for you, and what do you want people to know about your experience? Share your experience in 100 words or less using the #ipfreely hashtag, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SAFETY should be the main consideration for both personal and collective actions in this movement. No one should jeopardize their physical or mental well-being in this protest, or any other. We are looking to make a statement, to enlighten, but not to confront or antagonize.
I.P. FREELY is meant to establish a network and coordinate multi-dimensional responses including individual actions, collective disruptions, artistic responses, and education campaigns to address the rights, health, and safety issues around gendered bathrooms and regulations proposed to determine who can use them. For more information or to participate in future actions, email email@example.com